Our face is our presentation card and therefore it should be kept fresh, unlined and young, as long as possible. No wonder that anti-wrinkle treatments are gaining more and more importance in Germany. Thus, in the last year, the Gesellschaft für Ästhetische Chirurgie Deutschland e.V. registered around 50.000 anti-wrinkle treatments from its members. But a moment arrives when creams, peeling and fillings are not sufficient any more. With the passing of time, the elastic fibers of the skin tend to relax, and the fat deposits of the face to sink. As a consequence: excess of skin at the chin-jaw-line and hanging, tired-looking skin and tired looking facial expression features. Here only a lifting can help restoring a younger appearance. The problem is that many people fear such an important and „bloody“ intervention. The gentle alternative completely without scalpel is called thread lifting. The procedure consists of inserting special threads into the skin whose task is to lift the skin and restore the tissue into its original position. The secondary welcome effect is that around the lifting threads new connective tissue is formed, thus causing an additional tightening of the skin. The difference to the traditional lifting is that here no scars to be sewed are left. The result convinces. The thread lifting is ideal for those who want to “restore” the first signs of the aging process without any annoying incisions.
1. Aptos-Lifting | Soft-Lifting | Thread-Lifting: Description
"Lifting" is the English word used for this technique, "facelifting" means "raising of the face". In aesthetic surgery, it is a collective name used for any kind of procedure that means „raising“ or „lifting“ the slacky skin and thereby smoothing out the wrinkles. In general, this occurs in a quite complicated surgical procedure in which certain skin surfaces are raised, tightened, partially removed and stitched up again.
The new aptos lifting method requires only very little incisions and is carried out under local anaesthesia. Special threads introduced into the skin are responsible for the lifting.
In Germany there are different names used to describe this relatively new lifting procedure:
- "Aptos" is the name the discoverer of the method, the Muscovite physician and surgeon Dr. Marlen Sulamanidze, gives to his lifting threads. He derives the word "Aptos" from the scientific term "antiptosis", as "ptosis" means hanging, "antiptosis" works against hanging by lifting. So, aptos and lifting are words with a similar meaning.
- "Softlifting" describes a great advantage of the new procedure: It is gentle and careful. However, the word “softlifting” is seldom used to refer to the Aptos-Lifting, because it is also used for methods that do not count to the real lifting methods, since they only treat the wrinkles superficially or in an isolated manner.
- "Thread-Lifting" refers to the fact that special fine threads are introduced into the skin, lifting it. This should not be confused with the filling up of wrinkles by means of threads. The golden lifting should also be differentiated because, as it stabilizes the tissue, but is not comparable with the Aptos-threads. Thread-lifting does not either mean that wounds occur, which have to be sewed with the help of threads.
2. Advantages of the Aptos-Lifting | Soft-Lifting | Thread-Lifting
- Immediate visible lifting effects.
- No incisions, only very tiny needle punctures: practically no scars are left.
- No general anaesthesia.
- You can get up immediately after the treatment with no bed rest and no stay in the hospital.
- Very rare occurrence of pain after the intervention. If there is pain, it is easy to treat with regular analgesics.
- Very small inflammation risk.
- Rapid healing.
- Additional effect due to the formation of new connecting tissue.
3. Risks and side effects
As for any other operative intervention, in a lifting with aptos threads there are also some risks, which do quite seldom occur:
- Stronger or less strong burning during and after the treatment. Infection and/or reddening of the treated areas.
- Incompatibility reaction to the material used.
- Irregular results.
However: if necessary, the aptos threads can also be removed.
If lifting with aptos threads is really the appropriate method for you, that is something which cannot be answered without doing a thorough and clarifying analysis. However there are alternative methods for the treatment of wrinkles, such as for example implantation procedures o laser treatments (Fraxel).
4. Detailed description of the treatment
Aptos-Lifting (also called Soft-Lifting or Thread-Lifting) is a new, non invasive anti-wrinkle treatment method.
The new principle: threads with dents
A decisive novelty of the Aptos-Lifting are the fine, water-blue, 85 mm long special threads, covered with little dents. These are like little teeth oriented to the middle of the thread. The threads are made of a synthetic material that has been used in surgery for a long time.
The aptos threads are inserted into the skin in bow form and then tightened: the skin is lifted with the thread keeping hold on the teeth. The stronger the bow is in which the thread is introduced, the stronger the effect is. In addition to the immediate effect of Aptos-Lifting, in the healing phase new connective tissue around the lifting-threads is generated, which contributes to an even tighter skin.
The treatment with Aptos-threads is carried out as follows:
- The physician draws on your face the targeted areas to be lifted and the course of the threads.
- Local anaesthesia.
- A fine cannula is conducted along the drawn line underneath the lower fat tissue.
- The physician introduces subsequently an Aptos-thread inside the hollow cannula.
- The cannula is carefully extracted, leaving the Aptos-thread inside the tissue.
- The physician then pulls from one end and then the other end of the Aptos-thread, thus producing the wished lifting-effect.
- The ends of the thread are then cut, disappearing under the skin
The steps 3 to 7 are repeated for every thread. For the normal Aptos-Lifting of a cheek, three to four threads are enough. The insertion and tightening of a thread only lasts a few minutes.
Aptos-Lifting | Soft-Lifting | Thread-Lifting: Follow-up treatment
Patients can go back home on the same day after the Aptos-Lifting, although they should not drive.
Swellings on the treated areas disappear after a few days. No follow-up treatment is necessary and only two check-ups have to be done: one a week after the intervention and the second after a month.
The treated area should not be massaged for six weeks.