Earfold® - for the correction of protuding ears - Designing the Shape of your new ear in advance
What is Earfold®?
Earfold® is an implant used for the outpatient treatment and correction of protruding ears. This minimally-invasive procedure usually only requires a short period of recovery.
Length of surgery:
15 – 20 min
Typed of anesthesia:
Not necessary / outpatient
Immediate return to social activities, rapid recovery, no head bandage
What happens before the procedure?
Before the implants are permanently inserted on the day of surgery, you can determine in a personal consultation whether Earfold® is suitable for you.
First the specialist will discuss with you how you feel about the present position of your ears and how your ears shall look like with Earfold®.
Afterwards, the position of your ears will be temporarily changed, using one or two Prefold® devices (positioning elements) per ear. It is precisely at these points on the outside of the ear that the Earfold® devices will be introduced under the skin on the day of surgery. The temporary use of Prefold® to design the new shape of your ear is what makes the Earfold® method quite unique. This kind of preliminary viewing cannot be accomplished so easily with conventional otoplasty.
What happens during the procedure?
This minimally invasive procedure is performed on an outpatient basis and typically takes only 15 to 20 minutes. The individual steps are summarized below:
- The agreed position of the implants will be marked on your ear.
- A local anesthetic is used to numb your ear.
- An incision of 8 -10 mm is made in the skin.
- Earfold® wird mittels eines Applikators eingesetzt.
- The Earfold® implant is then inserted by means of an applicator.
- Earfold® can correct your protruding ears immediately after insertion.
What to expect after the procedure
- Due to the local anesthetic your ears may feel a bit numb for a while.
- After the procedure you may experience some pain which should subside within a few days.
- Some swelling or bruising may occur.
- Your ears may be a little more sensitive, you can wash your hair or take a shower, but you need to be careful when doing this.
- In order to avoid pressure on your ears, you should sleep on your back for up to 4 weeks.
- Swimming and contact sports should not be attempted for approximately 4 weeks so that the implants can take root.
- Please refrain from wearing earrings for a period of 2 weeks to reduce the risk of infection.
You should not smoke, if possible, for about 3 months, as the nicotine reduces the blood supply to the ear, which increases the risk of complications. This also applies to e-cigarettes, nicotine patches and nicotine chewing gums.