|Length of surgery:||1.5 – 2 hours|
|Type of anesthesia:
|Hospital stay:||Not necessary / outpatient|
|After surgery:||Intense recovery period of 1 – 2 weeks, sports & strneuous physical activities after 2 -3 weeks|
In some cases, scars can be topically corrected, for example, by using ointments, pressure bandages, frigotherapy, or by means of injections or tattoos. However, corrective surgery is recommended in the following cases:
- In case of contracture or tension leading to an impairment of mobility or growth
- In case of increased vulnerability with tearing of the scar or grazing of the upper skin layers under strain
- If there is a risk that the scar might develop into a malignant tumor, e. g. after radiotherapy or if it is a very old and instable scar
- In case of excessive scar formation or scar tumors (keloids), reddening, thickening or strong itching
- In case of aesthetically unappealing, conspicuous scar formation, such as unevenness, retractions, distortions or discolorations.
The plastic surgeon will explain to you during a private consultation why he recommends a surgical scar revision for you / your child.
How is the procedure performed?
The surgical procedure is performed under local or general anesthesia. You will be informed separately about the details and risks of general anesthesia. In uncomplicated cases, it might be enough to excise the scar tissue and close the wound again with sutures.
weiter zu Lidstraffung